Sunday 20 December 2009

In the Beginning ....

Ill start from as far as i can remember aged 7.
Nigeria
Ok the most i can remember is sitting at the basement of my grandparents duplex( i guess thats wat theyre called in nigeria)...carpet stunk of dust .,,.i always wondered y we bothered sweepin those things as the nigerian weather never permitted for cleaniness...in comparison to the UK u can hoover and expect to meet it that way wen u come back ..in nigeria the way was constantly filled with the dust thus the reason y u sweep and constantly find your carpet filled with dust ...anyways back to the intial intention of this post...laying on the carpet doing my homework and theres three men walking towards me all dressed in a george oh watever dont know ow to spell it ...its wat they wear in rivers state the george the wrapper and the walking stick with a red hat that had feathers in it.. i hope u get the picture


They arrive and ask to see my g.ma i go upstairs and im told to wait upstairs i could feel the hostility and coldness in her eyes as she walked down the marble stairs( they were either too hot or freezing cold there was no inbetween ) she then walked towards them whilst i eavesdropped from upstairs..she offered them a sit but i knew they werent welcome ...the coldness of her voice could be transcribed as sit but ull need to be leaving in 2 mins...lol...


gma; yes y are u here....
men; erm i know its been a while we have come we ask for you forgiveness..we just came to see our daughter and give her these things for her upkeep...( he presents a box of fingers, 10,000 naira. bag of beans and rice...)
gma; thank you and she beckons to me...
me; i kneel ...good afternoon sir
gma; won't u greet him properly his ur grandpa...


rite this was before i knew the people i live with were actually my g.parents not my biological parents. now lets return...
me; oh gudafternoon g.pa y havent u come to see me all this while....
men; ( one of the men beckons for me to sit on his lap) then he says im really sorry ive been in and out of town thats y...
i think he deserves the honour to be described at least


the man who was apparently my gpa ( tall ...and fair skinned dark hair even muscle tone )


man; so ow u doin
me; im ok just tryin to finish mr h.work ( i was very outspoken i guess i still am..i didnt mind if he was a stranger i was goin to tell him exactly how i was feeling )
man; not a problem unfortunately i cant stay for long but i will definitely be back to see you again...
me ; will you be here for my bday ...
man; yes i will wen is it ...
me; ( o...k ure my g.pa and u dont know wen i was born? ) 25  june  in 6 weeks
gpa; not a problem i will be in town so ill come and hand over your present
me; thank you bye see you soon


im ushered upstairs and they said their goodbyes and gma comes upstairs


thats where it all started...


gma; (in yoruba) ill type in english for the benefit that i cant write or speak yoruba fluently but my understanding of it is very sound..for the purpose of the humour ill have some in yoruba...


gma; oloriburuku....se fingers ati owo lama je.... (stupid man surely fingers and money isnt all we can feed on ) she continues ...akpo rice ati ewa se gbogbo nkan to tin je lati kekere ni yen ni ) a bag of rice and beans is dat all uve been eating since u were born...


bro k; we need a dvd anyway this video is so crappy anyways ..i can go to alaba and buy one for cheap...
gma; i dont want to keep the money before they will say i took commissions to take care of you...yes please go buy the dvd


bro k; ( he goes off and buys the dvd)
me ; " well i guess the chocolate tasted really gud" on the otherhand i guess my hatred for fingers chocolate stemmed from this encounter...




to be continued....

No comments: